Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Blog 6: Personal directions for the CATW

For the day of the CATW exam I am going to go by these personal instructions. When I first receive the text I will read it once quickly then read it a second time and mark the main idea, key ideas and decide on the one idea that I will choose to agree/disagree with. Once I am done with reading the text I will go ahead and start on my writing. With the writing I will first use any Invention Technique such as brain storming, free writing, outline or looping. I personally like the outline technique so I will use that. Once I start writing my essay I know that my essay should include an Opening sentence that will introduce the topic that I am writing about. Then I will go on to summarize the passage in my own words making sure to include the title of the passage and the author’s name. In that first paragraph I would also include the main idea of the passage and state key ideas of the passage carefully leaving out secondary details. After that I will include the one idea that I feel is significant to me and agreeing or dis agreeing with that. This leads me into my second and third paragraph which is where I can use my own words and express my opinion on the one Idea I chose to write about. In the second paragraph I need to make sure to include my first example any kind of experience or evidence that I use that will support my opinion on the Idea I believe in. The third paragraph should include a second kind of evidence or experience supporting my idea. In these 2 paragraphs I need to make sure I don’t use anything from the text that was provided to me I can’t quote anything nor refer to anything back in the text because this is my own opinion. I am however able to talk about any other text as long as it has to do with my opinion and it relates. Another thing my examples should include if it is a personal experience, It should include a time a setting details it should be more of a showing type of writing instead of just going on and telling. Once I am done with my 2 body paragraphs I will move on to concluding my essay in my conclusion I can always end it by stating that this is why I believe in the idea and maybe repeating the idea again. After I am done with writing my essay I will make sure to look over it and seek for any spelling errors and stuff.

I feel I have a lot of thing to look out for the day of the test like making sure I keep track of time and leave enough time to be able to revise my essay before handing it in or spelling and my neatness in writing sometimes when I do get into the writing I would write to fast and it becomes non legible and that could possibly take out points also because of my spelling. For these to not happen to me I will make sure I have a dictionary with me so I can look back in case I get stuck on a word I’ll also wear a watch to keep track of my timing make sure I’m not either rushing myself or taking too much time on reading and outlining before my essay. I’ll also bring a couple of pens with me just in case just because you never know when one can run out of ink. Lastly I will make sure I keep my phone OFF! And not on silent because if it goes off they will fail you just because of that which is ridiculous in my opinion but whatever. It would suck to have to fail this test and have to take the class over just because my phone went off. Other than that I shall stay calm breathe have a good breakfast the morning of and make sure I rest up the night before.

No comments:

Post a Comment